I will Teach You...

Merriam-Webster Defines an acrostic as:


acrostic

play
noun  acros·tic \ə-ˈkrȯs-tik, -ˈkräs-\

Definition of acrostic

  1. 1:  a composition usually in verse in which sets of letters (as the initial or final letters of the lines) taken in order form a word or phrase or a regular sequence of letters of the alphabet
  2. 2:  acronym

acrostic

 also 

acrostical

 play\-ti-kəl\ adjective

acrostically

 play\-ti-k(ə-)lē\ adverb



I remember at an early age in school learning about acrostics from my teachers. I remember often writing poems about people. They were usually for those I love, Mom, Dad, Grandparents. Who knew leaning in school how to write and use an acrostic would continue to be useful even today?

Working in the healthcare field, we use acrostics for many things. CPR, SAS, remember your H's and T's, just to name a few. 

Acrostics have a way of helping us remember important things and usually in a certain order. 

I can't help but wonder if that was why David wrote Psalm 34 as an acrostic. Was his love for the Lord and his gift of poetry, combined to teach us something important?

I encourage you to read it again. Look as each line, feel the meter as you read, notice the grouping and framing of what David has written about his Love. 

Come, you children, listen to me;

I will teach you the fear of the Lord.
Psalm 34:11

~kartini r. maxson




No comments:

Post a Comment