June Prayer Topic: Praying to Not be a Lukewarm Christian

“Let love be genuine. Abhor what is evil; hold fast to what is good.  Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor.  Do not be slothful in zeal, be fervent in spirit, serve the Lord.  Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer.” Romans 12:9-12 (ESV)
Lukewarm water, to me, is the nastiest stuff.  I love water, don’t get me wrong, but lukewarm water, no thank you.  I have accidently taken a sip of lukewarm water, and I spit it out.  It was not for me.
So why would I want to be lukewarm Christian? This month we want our focus and prayer to be for the Lord to help us not be a lukewarm Christian.  It is only in looking to the Lord that we will be lit on fire for Him.
For too many years, I know that I was a lukewarm Christian.  It is going through life, believing in God, but not really taking my relationship with Him seriously.  I did not let Him be Lord of my life. I was mediocre in my beliefs, and lived life on my terms.  If God fit into my life, then that was good enough.
I mean, I went to church, most weekends.  That was good enough, right? How would you feel if your friends only talked to you one day a week, sometimes?  That is not the type of relationship that God wants from me.  He wants me to let Him into every area of my life, be Lord of my life. 
That is what I want as well.  I don’t want to be something that God wants to spit out of His mouth. I want to be red hot for the Lord.  My first instincts should be to take it to the Lord.  My first instinct should be to talk it out with the Lord. 
I have recently started doing that. It is a journey that God keeps showing me. It is a step by step process, but I am to be on this amazing journey.  So, I am praying that I will not be a lukewarm Christian either. 
“My son, (or daughter), give me your heart and let your eyes observe my ways.” Proverbs 23:26 (ESV)
This month, let us all pray and allowed God to be Lord of us and all that is us.  If our focus is on the Lord, and not on ourselves.  We as humans can be so self-involved.  How does God fit into my life?
Wrong question.  It should be how do I fit into God’s.  This month, let us have that be our focus.  Stop with the ideas that we can do this life on our own.  I know I can’t.  How is that going for you, the doing it on your own?
Be on fire for the Lord, and the world will take notice.  Be the fire that shines to the world.
Dear Lord,
I pray that you light me on fire for you.  Going through this life on my own has not worked, and I don’t want to do it anymore.  Be Lord of my life, and help me to never go back to the lukewarm.
In Jesus’ Name – Amen


Laura Maxson

No comments:

Post a Comment