Thanks Give(ing) in Action

Thanksgiving 

What does that word mean to me?

A holiday, day off from work, meal with the family, pumpkin spice everything, cool autumn weather, leaves changing color, thanking God for what He's done in my life.

I will give thanks to you, Lord, with all my heart;
    I will tell of all your wonderful deeds.
I will be glad and rejoice in you;
    I will sing the praises of your name, O Most High.
Psalm 9:1-2

This month we've been praying about INTENTIONAL Gratitude, in a sense, Thanksgiving
I'm so thankful that God never ceases to surprise, because I thought He would help point out the things in my life that I could thank Him for. 

Which He did, but that's not where He stopped. He decided to change my definition of Thanksgiving.

Merriam-Webster Dictionary   
give

verb \ˈgiv\
gave \ˈgāv\ giv·en \ˈgi-vən\ giv·ing
Definition of GIVE
transitive verb
1
:  to make a present of <give a doll to a child>
2
a :  to grant or bestow by formal action <the law gives citizens the right to vote>

b :  to accord or yield to another <gave him her confidence>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

transitive verb has two characteristics. First, it is an action verb, expressing a doable activity like kick, want, paint, write, eat, clean, etc. Second, it must have a direct object, something or someone who receives the action of the verb.
It was this "Ah-ha" and "Oh, that should have been obvious" moment. When I GIVE thanks the way I believe God has intended. Not just keeping it to myself, or only in my personal devotion to Him. But, when I take it further and act upon it. When there's a direct object that receives it. When I tell, write a letter to, leave a note for, call, text someone why I'm thankful for them; something crazy happens.

I'm double blessed and I feel I'm the one who's been given something. 

Paul does this, thanks give(ing), and I believe he had that same feeling.
Every time you cross my mind, I break out in exclamations of thanks to God. Each exclamation is a trigger to prayer. I find myself praying for you with a glad heart. Philippians 1:3,4 (MSG)

Then in 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18(KJV) he wrote,

16 Rejoice evermore.17 Pray without ceasing.18 In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.
So I'm Thank Full for a new life definition of Thanks Give(ing). And my prayer will be that it's not just once a year, but a life full of Giving Thanks.

~Kartini Maxson


No comments:

Post a Comment