Who has Measured the Waters?

Photo by kartini r. maxson
Life.

It never stops. It seems to not care what’s going on or what you can handle. It comes.

Like the waves of the ocean, it comes. It comes, at time rolling and gentle washing over your toes, up to your knees. Then crashing around you, violent and torrent. To the point you feel as if you may drown. Still it comes, never stopping.

He tends his flock like a shepherd
He gathers the lambs in his arms
and carries them close to his heart;
he gently leads those that have young.
Isaiah 40:11

Sitting at the dining room table, I write, I pray. About life. At this point I feel it all around. It’s one of those times I feel I’m in shoulder deep. I think I can control it. But, can I really. Am I the one who can hold the waves back? Do my thoughts, my words, “That’s enough”, keep them in place?

Who has measured the waters in the hollow of his hand,
or with the breadth of his hand marked off the heavens?
Who has held the dust of the earth in a basket,
or weighed the mountains on the scales
and the hills in a balance?
Isaiah 40:12

As I sit, I tell God about my life. I tell Him as if He doesn’t know. I tell Him, I’m not sure how long I can keep it together. I tell Him, about the areas in my life I think I am controlling. But, I know that’s not how I really feel in side. I feel scared, that just one wave will be enough to wash over my head. I say, “I trust you, I give you control of my life.” But am I really. I ask Him-no I tell Him, “I need answers.” 

Who can fathom the Spirit of the Lord,
or instruct the Lord as his counselor?
Whom did the Lord consult to enlighten him,
and who taught him the right way?
Who was it that taught him knowledge,
or showed him the path of understanding?
Isaiah 40:13-14

His gentle voice comes, “Read Isaiah 40, daughter.”

Comfort, comfort my people,
says your God.
Speak tenderly to Jerusalem,
and proclaim to her
that her hard service has been completed,
that her sin has been paid for,
that she has received from the Lord’s hand
double for all her sins.
Isaiah 40:1-2

As I read, He shows me. Life-it’s not about me. It’s about me knowing Him.

God
God the Father
God the Son
God the Holy Spirit

God is the Good Shepherd
God is the Creator
God is All Knowing

 I can know that God cares about my life, because He’s my Shepherd, my Creator. He will lead me. He will guide me. When I need the answers, I can find them in Him, because He holds them all.

Life-It’s not about me.
What I can do
What I can control
What I know

Life-It’s about who I know.


It’s about God.

~kartini r. maxson

No comments:

Post a Comment