February Prayer Topic: Those We Love

I've had this love-hate relationship with Valentine's Day.

Growing up. I loved Valentine's Day. I remember in Elementary School a few days before Valentine's Day, we would make these special "collection receptacles." Carefully placing each detail to this much-more then ordinary shoe box, cutting out the slit in the top that receive those special little Valentine's card. Everyone made boxes, everyone got cards. I loved it! I just loved Valentine's Day.

Then came High School. Where almost the opposite happened. No boxes were made, not everyone got cards. No, unless you had a "Valentine" no cards or gifts were to be had. So I decided, this holiday was no longer for me. I would not allow someone else, or lack there of, be the determining factor of my joy, happiness, or love. No. No more Valentine's Day for me. 

After that came University. Where to the surprise, of my boyfriend, I made known to him, I vetoed Valentines day. I informed him, our love would not be determined by one day and the gifts given or received on that one day. 

So that tradition carried through our dating life and into our marriage. It remained that way until the birth of our son. It's funny how having kids in your life can change your view of things, which in this case was Valentine's Day. To the confusion of my dear husband, I changed it up on him again. 

Oh, how I had forgotten my love for you Valentine's Day.  Once again little cards filled our house. Every year picking out that perfect treat that would accompany each card for everyone in his class. I loved it! I just loved Valentine's Day.

Looking back, what was it in those moments that made me love that day or not? On the surface you could say, it was as a child, the simple joy of receiving those cute little cards. Maybe that is part of it. Maybe it had something to do about giving and receiving. As I got older, maybe it was the thought that giving and receiving could have something to do with the love someone had for me. So instead of being secure that I was loved, I choose to not acknowledge a holiday, in fear I would not be loved. 

photo by kartini r. maxson
In John 15, Christ tell about the incredible love He and the Father have for each other, and that same incredible love He has for everyone of us. Incredible, stable, consistent, unwavering, ever-present love. This love, so incredible, that He gave the ultimate gift. "Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." John 15:13. He gave His life for us. 

This gift of love He gave to everyone. Regardless of if we choose to give Him our love in return-He still loves. Incredible, stable, consistent, unwavering, every-present love.

Even though He does not make us love Him in return for this gift, He does ask if we love Him. And if we love Him, He asks us to love each other. To love each other as He loved us. Not once or twice, but three time here He asks us to love each other-the way He loved us. (John 15:12,14,17)

But, that may seem impossible. To love as He did. Life giving love. Constant, unconditional, unwavering; unlike my feelings about Valentine's day. I guess when you really think about it, it is impossible. 

Impossible unless we are connected to Him. Connected to the True Vine. As we love Him, stay connected to Him, it is through Him that can we love as He loves.

He came to Love. He lived love, died love, and rose again love. Because God is Love. 

~kartini r. maxson

No comments:

Post a Comment