God’s Word for My Year - 2017

Openness is a noun, and is defined as lack of restrictions; accessibility.  It is also defined as acceptance of or receptiveness to change or new ideas.

My word for the year 2017, Openness.  I have been open to the will of God, and every day, I pray that I will have my eyes opened so that I may see what He has to show me.  He never fails to show me His glory.  Whether it is in something, or someone, I see God’s glory shining through.

The other day, I was with the person who does my hair.  There was a waiting period, and we were talking.  She shared with me what God was doing in her life.  I sat there smiling, because God was working in her life.  It was awesome.

She has had a tough life, and to see her give all that to God, was something that brings tears to my eyes as I am typing these words.  As we were talking, she was just exuding this new breath of life.  It was awe inspiring.

There are so many people on their own journey through life, and to see someone experience God, maybe for the first time, is just so cool.   She brought it up, and so for her to be comfortable with me, lets me know that the friendship we have is so much more than hairdresser and client.  She is my friend.

I hate to admit it, but for so long, my heart was closed off.  I kept people at bay, and didn’t let them fully in. I thought it was safer that way.  However, God is showing me a different way.  God is bringing people into my life, because I am open to it.  My heart is open. 

I am open to God using a sledge hammer to tear down the walls, or to chip away at the things in me that aren’t of Him.  Sometimes the chipping is uncomfortable, but necessary.  If I am open, God will keep going.

The journey of openness is sometimes filled with questions, and God is so patient with me.  He never gets upset that I question or have a momentary lapse of faith over the same thing.  Patiently, until I finally get it, He seems to always send me, either through song or reading, an encouraging word. 

This day was no exception.  He knew that I was trying to keep faith in the promises that He has given me.  Yet, I could not verbalize that there was this doubt.  It was just this feeling inside me. It has been festering, and I “tried” to give it to God. 


God knows all things though. So, He sends me a devotional forwarded to me by one of my friends, titled “God Knows Our Way, and His Plans are Good:  There’s Hope Ahead”.  The first paragraph is a verse that is one of my favorites:

For I know the plans that I have for you.” Declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”  Jeremiah 29:11

The reason I underlined the first part, is that is how it was on the reading.  God underlined it for me.  He is saying, “Laura, I know that plans I have for you.  I’ve got this, and I’ve got you.”

It is an ever day journey with My God.  I remain open and focused on Him.  If I find I am tired, He is my strength.  As I am more open to God, the more my faith in Him will grow. I am just so thankful that God doesn’t give up in frustration with us.  He’s got me, He’s got you.  He’s got our back.

Dear Lord, I need you, every hour I need you.  You are God and I am not.  Your Will, Your Way, Your Time.  In Your Name Amen.

Laura Maxson





            

1 comment:

  1. You are becoming an answer to years of prayers. You have been on my daily prAyer list since you became our adopted daughter. We share so much on the difficulty of being open to others. I have loved watching the way God has been moving in your lif!

    ReplyDelete