God is Ever-Present Help in Trouble


Photo By Rebecca Herber
The news lately has been filled with so much violence. There is violence happening in schools, malls, theatres, homes, work, and we can’t even go to a prayer meeting without violence happening.  Add on to that there is all types of abuse, divorce, adultery, affairs, death of children, and I could go on.   This world is so full of sin.

So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10
           
            I watched on TV the sermon at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in Charleston this past Sunday.  What I heard was not so much anger, but more asking the people to have more a reliance on God.  Not, to understand why it happened, but to lean on God for the strength of healing.  The news anchor was having a hard time understanding this concept. They were shocked at the response.  People singing “Amazing Grace” in the streets. 
The Revered Norvel Goff said during prayer, “The doors of the church are open.  No evil doer, no demon in hell or on Earth can close the doors of God’s church.”  That can also be said for us.  No evil doer, no demon in hell or on Earth can close the door on us from God. 

…God is my refuge and strength, an EVER-present help in trouble. Psalm 46:1

Photo by Rebecca Herber
            Is there still sadness? Absolutely, however, “Weeping may last for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.” (Psalm 30:5)   God is my strength.  I lean on Him.  My God is my refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble…this means that He is ALWAYS present.  He will never leave you alone.  I am never alone.
            Do you understand how awesome that is?  We are never alone.  We, you and I, don’t have to go through whatever we are going through by ourselves.  Yes, there are times that we feel like it. We try to do it on our own, or maybe we don’t think anyone understands what we are going through. I have been there, but to come into the light after darkness is the most amazing thing.  There is a huge relief that comes. 
Photo by Rebecca Herber


“Dear Father, thank you for being our ever-present help in trouble.  Thank you for being our comfort, our refuge, our strength.  There are so many other words to describe You.  We may not understand why bad things happen, but we have the faith and hope that You will be there to get us through. Amen.”


Laura Maxson

No comments:

Post a Comment