June Prayer Topic: God is my Comfort…

Have you ever been so low that you feel completely and utterly alone?  I have.  I have been to the depths of darkness.

photo Rebecca Herber
When traumatic things happen to us in life, we wonder where God was.  Where is God?  What did I do to deserve this?  Where was God in that event?  If He loves me, why did he let this happen to me?

Does this sound familiar?  It does to me.  I have said it a lot.  I have cried out to God.  I have been angry with God for what happened to me. It wasn’t fair, and it wasn’t right.  Why didn’t God protect me from that event?  Why didn’t he stop it?

I don’t have the all the answers. Yet, I have learned a few things.  One thing that I have learned is that what happened to me, was NOT God’s plan.  It did not happen to make me stronger, or more empathetic to others.    It was NOT His plan.

A couple of years ago, I was driving to my folks’ house, and I was listening to the song by Casting Crowns “Praise You in this Storm.”  I was still at that angry stage of asking, where was God?  Then, I paid attention to a verse.  “Every tear I’ve cried you hold in your hand.  You never left my side and though my heart is torn, I will praise you in this storm.”

Tears were rolling down my face.  I went back in my memories to that time.  There I had a “vision” of God beside me holding me with tears rolling down His face.  I “saw” Him holding me so tightly.  He was/is my comfort.

I have learned that:

" When you pass through the waters,
    I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers,
    they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
    you will not be burned;
    the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:2

This is God’s promise to each of us.   Even today, when I hear that song, I am reminded that God has never/will never leave my side.

photo Rebecca Herber

Dear Lord,

I pray that you reveal Yourself to others as You did to me.  We all go through traumatic events, and tough times, and we don’t know why.  You are always there.  We may not understand completely why things happen.  I do know that these traumatic events are not part of your plan. It hurts You to see us go through these things.  I have faith that You are there with me.  Others need that same faith.  Lord, you are my comfort, and my shelter in the storm. Amen


Laura Maxson

No comments:

Post a Comment