He is our Comfort…

I felt Jesus’ arms wrap around me in an embrace as I was screaming and crying into my pillow.  I felt His arms holding me tightly as the tears rolled down my face.  The panic attack was gripping my body. 
These panic attacks had become a common thing.  I had tried everything to make them stop.  That night, I even tried the breathing technique that my counselor had given me.  It helped some, but nothing was stopping the attacks completely. I was trying to catch my breath.  In a moment of complete desperation, I cried out, “GOD, I need you.  I can’t do this anymore.  Where are you?”

 “He reached down from on high and took hold of me; He drew me out of the deep waters.” - Psalm 18:16

Those arms around me, stilled me.  Jesus comforted me that night.  There were many nights and days just like that.  Until I finally realized that I couldn’t do it on my own.  When I realized that, the panic attacks stopped.
I struggled for many years, longer than necessary.   I struggled to do it on my own. God was always there waiting for me to realize that I could not overcome it on my own.   Through Him, I have overcome the events of my past.  I am complete in Him.
He also opened my eyes to a lot of answers that I had been needing. He had always been there, even when the tragic events happened to me.  I asked the question and demanded an answer from God.  “Why did you allow this to happen to me?  Was this part of your plan? I was a child.  Why?”
His answer. “No, this was not part of My plan. “For I know the plans I have for you,” declared the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” (Jeremiah 29:11) 
Sin is in this world. Yet, even though sin is in this world, and our free will in existence, He will never leave our sides.  Maybe God can’t intervene on some things, like times when intervening would interfere with someone else’s free will.  Maybe there are times that things happen, and we don’t understand.  Maybe we will never understand why they happened.  God is there.  God is here.

 Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.” - Hebrews 13:5

            In our darkest hour, He is there.  In our brightest moment, He is there.  So, no matter what we are going through, He is there.  I know there were times in my life that I felt like no one understood.  No one knew what I was going through.  There were times that I couldn’t even communicate what I was going through, but God knew what I was going through.

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. - Psalm 147:3

Each day is a choice.  Am I going to lean onto my own understanding, or lean on Him and rely on Him?  Today, I rely on Him.


Laura Maxson

No comments:

Post a Comment