May Prayer Topic: Take the Next Step

At the end of last month we had out very first Circle of Prayer Retreat. Leading up to this time I was so apprehensive about all the details. How would it go? Who would come? Do they even want to come? Will they get along? What will they expect? Will it meet their expectation?

It takes a long time for this "old man" to die to self (Romans 6:6), but again I'm so thankful for a patient loving Savior who has a plan for me.
Just take the next step.
So planning began. Setting a date. Sending out an email to everyone. Buying books ahead of time. Setting up the speakers. Step by step-one at a time-things began to come together.

As the weekend neared I wasn't sure who exactly would come. Our group is small to start with. 15 to be exact. I felt as if the Lord was wanting me to plan for 10, so that's what we bought supplies for. We started with eight potentially coming, then down to seven, and finally five.

Five Lord? Ok I guess that's better then no one and just me. But, through the words of a friend He reminded me. "Even if it's just you coming out. You'll come to my house, we'll still have the reatreat and the Lord will bless."

I have a hard time putting into words the experience our group of five had. What I felt we lacked in number. God made up in Holy Spirit.

The Spirit moved in His incredible way for all of us. Before that weekend I prayed that if it might be possible that the Lord would give me a glimpse of what our early church leaders experienced during Pentecost.

He took us on a journey. We march around our Jericho's. Those prayers that seemed too impossible to defeat on our own. With each circle around our prayer, our confidence in Christ grew stronger. We prayed through Scripture. The very Word inspired by God Himself, connected us to Him with His Word. We spent time writing purposeful dreams. We spent time alone with Him as we watched our confessions burn away. We put intersession to action. We watched the seed of supplication grow. We took hold of His rock solid promises. We ended the weekend in prayer for each other. Not just any pray, but Old Testament, claim the promise, laying of hands kind of prayer.

And then It came.

Photo by Kartini Maxson
The Holy Spirit wind. Not just in our hearts, but in mighty and physical way! As we were laying hands-praying for each other a real, tangible wind began to blow. It blew so strongly it shook the house. I felt a beam of light pouring over us, wind whipping around the house, as we poured over each other in prayer.
When were finished,  as quickly, loudly, and fiercely as the wind came, we were left in the still. In His still.

Just a glimpse of what it was like. During that Day so long ago. He answered my request and allowed me a Pentecost glimpse of that day.

We excitedly talked about the fire God set in our hearts. About our own dreams-His dreams and His plans for Circle of Prayer.

He exceeded my expectations, once again. He full-filled five lives with wind of change-Holy Spirit change.

It was such a mountain top experience. A time where our sole-soul purpose was connecting with our Creator, Savior,  & Friend.

Then it was over. We had to go home-back to life. Down from the mountain.

But as I come down, I have in my heart the words He spoke to us that weekend. The words He spoke to me. And the assurance that He wants to keep speaking words of truth to me. I just need to listen.

Since I've come home, the words He's been saying.....
Take the Next Step.

A call to action.

What ever it may be. The dream He has made clear in our hearts. That impossible prayer-too hard to defeat on our own.
Then God heard the boy crying, and the Angel of God called to Hagar from the sky, “Hagar, what’s wrong? Don’t be afraid! For God has heard the lad’s cries as he is lying there." Genesis 21:17Living Bible (TLB)
The other day I heard a sermon on this verse. The *pastor explained that when this form of the word "heard" is said in the Bible, God uses it "before He acts on our behalf."
So whatever it is.
Take that next step. Don't be afraid! He has heard your cry and He will act on your behalf!
~kartini r. maxson
*Pastor Bryan DelValle, Modesto Central SDA Church

No comments:

Post a Comment