Generations in Bondage

I've heard the Bible verse "for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me." It's found both in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5

I've heard this verse attributed to things that can be traced back through family line, things that plague our lives. Things like anxiety, depression, unwillingness to forgive, abuse, alcohol, drug addictions, spiritualism. The things that are usually the family secrets, dark and hidden, that no one really talks about, but in certain circle are said in whispered tones. 

A few years ago, I found freedom from the chains of anxiety and control. Anxiety and control, that I discovered came from the need to be perfect and feeling as if I was never quiet enough. Perfection was never attainable, because there was always something I could have done better. I needed to always do more, to show I was good enough, gain approval, to be perfect. But, through the help of others and the working  of the Holy Spirit, I found freedom in the realization, I was right. Perfection for me is never attainable. There is nothing I can do to attain perfection, nor should it be my goal. 

No, perfection can only be achieved by someone else.  Perfection can only be found in Christ alone, "the Author and Perfecter of our faith"(Hebrews 12:2 ESV). That it is through Christ, I become complete and perfect in Him. "Being confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Jesus Christ" Philippians 1:6 ASV

What I've also come to discover, I was not alone in this struggle. This is a struggle that ran deep and holds strong through our family. I found these issues can trace back into the 3rd generation of our family and who knows how much further. 

But, praise be to God, 

Through the working of the Holy Spirit, our family is starting to openly talk about it with each other. We've also asked those close to us to pray for us as well. Because of this, we are realizing that it can stop with us! With God's help it will stop with us! 

When I was going through counseling, I shared with my counselor how hard it was to choose a different path then the one my mind took me down, the path of anxiety. But, I had moments when I felt free from it, and I was afraid that it might come back. He said to me, "These changes you are making are like changing the course of a river. It will take time. It will be hard. But, then you'll realize you're going the other direction." He continued, "It's not a matter of 'if' it (my anxiety) will come back, but 'when.' And now that you've tasted freedom, you won't want to stay there. And you know how to get back."

The reason I'm sharing this with you, is so God may have all the glory when He frees my family from these chains. And, for you to know that you are not alone-God wants to do this for you too.

Everyone has things in their lives, in their family's lives, that run deep and go back far, things that have enslaved us. I pray that once you've realize whatever these things may be-that you try God. Pray that He lead you "in the way you should go" (Psalm 32:8), and that He reveal people in your life that can help in the healing process. 

What's even more incredible to me are the words that follow in this verse. 

"for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments." Exodus 20:5-6

These words were original written for the children of Israel. They had just been freed from the bondage of slavery in Egypt. For generations they had been enslaved. Now that He had freed them, He wanted to make sure they didn't put anything else in His place, make something else their master. But, keep Him as their God. So, He gave them instructions on how to live fully free. Some of these instructions came with a warning of who their actions could affect if they choose otherwise. But, also with that warning, came a beautiful promise of freedom and love, that can be found in Him, which will continue down through family lines for a thousand generations.

That same promise He has for us. He can free us from chains that have shackled our families for generations. When we make God the only God in our life, put Him back in His rightful place, we allow Him to free us from the bondage of slavery. 
And God spoke all these words: 
I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery. 
You shall have no other gods before me. 
You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the parents to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments. 
Exodus 20:1-6 & Deuteronomy 5:5-10 (NIV)
Photo by Jake Givens on Unsplash
~ kartini r. maxson

No comments:

Post a Comment